The Romance Reviews

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Grown-Up Christmas List

On Facebook, I’ve been driving my friends crazy with a daily posting what I want Santa to put under my tree. It started out as a joke and I will continue to post something like that on a daily basis until Christmas is over. The joke I posted was that I wish Santa would leave Henry Cavill (the really pretty eye candy from the Showtime/BBC series The Tudors and the summer blockbuster Man of Steel) under my tree. I know it’s a joke and I’m happily married, but there are some things I can admire. As a friend said, “Just because you’re on a diet doesn’t mean you can’t look at the menu.”

But that joke has me thinking about what I really want under my Christmas tree. Here’s my “grown-up Christmas list” as the song goes.

I wish that as a society we could all agree that it isn’t guns that kill people, but people bent on causing destruction, harm, and death are what kill people. Gun violence is a symptom of the issue, not the issue. We have become a society that doesn’t value life. Life is cheap. We have reduced people in our society to what they wear, who they date, and how much money they possess. Life has become about possessions, not living. People of my age grew up playing “cowboys and Indians” and “cops and robbers” and most of us would never turn a gun on anyone simply to harm another person. My children grew up playing video games, and some of the ones my son played were incredibly violent, but he would never consider turning a gun on helpless, defenseless people with the sole intent to create as much death as possible. I’m tired of gun owners being held responsible for the actions of people that have taken it upon themselves to commit murder and mayhem with a weapon, yet we cannot hold a religion and its followers to the same standard when every terrorist attack on this country was committed by followers of a “religion of peace.” Or how about this: no one is trying to make it harder to get a license to drive a car, yet drunk drivers kill more people annually than people wielding guns kill.

I wish as a society we would get rid of the political correctness bullshit. It is total and complete bullshit and the only thing bullshit is good for is fertilizer. Cities can’t have a Nativity scene because it crosses the line between Church and State. I’m not supposed to say “Merry Christmas” because I might offend someone. The television network A & E just suspended Phil Robertson from the juggernaut show Duck Dynasty because Phil voiced a personal opinion in an interview that had NOTHING to do with A & E about his thoughts on homosexuality. Phil’s entitled to his opinion; unfortunately, A & E didn’t think so. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I don’t care who you choose to sleep with, so long as your choice of sexual partners involves neither children nor animals, it is none of MY damn business. In that same vein I’m tired of double standards. Had a gay activist said the same thing about straight people that Phil Robertson said, other than the reported interview, nothing would have been said or thought about it.

I wish we truly could have religious tolerance, but as long as there are fundamentalists of any flavor, it won't happen. As long as there are fundamentalists shouting that I'm going to hell because I don't believe that there is only one way to heaven, there won't be religious tolerance. (BTW, hop on the bus, I'm driving this highway to hell!) As long as there are religions that believe a woman is not as good as a man and must be subservient to him, there won't be religious tolerance. Guess what...your god is no better than my god, and She is all the same god. Some of you just see Her face very differently than I see it. Whether you see that god as Jehovah, Jesus of Nazareth, Al'lah, Isis, Ishtar, or Hekate--all are just the many faces of the divinity that resides within all of us. Until we can understand that there is divinity within each and every one of us, there will not be religious tolerance. 

I want the attacks by animal rights activists to stop. If you choose not to have a pet, that is your choice. I think your life is a lot emptier than mine, but that’s just my opinion. If you choose not to eat meat, that’s also your choice. More power to you. However, there are those of us who enjoy a thick, juicy steak. I don’t try to dictate to you; please don’t think to dictate to me.

I wish I would wake up Christmas morning and learn that the Congress of the United States had actually come to its senses and is not making cuts in the retirement benefits and the pay and other benefits for our military, both active and retired. Just because those members of our military signed a blank check to Uncle Sam doesn’t mean they should be bled dry. Many of the people in this country are members of our armed forces or have family/close friends who are serving/have served. For those of us who are offended by this misuse, disrespect, and mistreatment of our military, the members of Congress need to realize that we will remember in the midterm elections next year.

I wish I would wake up Christmas morning and learn that people in this country have finally woken up and realized that the government cannot and should not ever be responsible to care for them from cradle to grave, but I don’t hold out any hopes for that. (My odds of finding Superman under my tree are a whole lot better.) Unfortunately, we have become a society that has lost our ability to be trail-blazers, pioneers, and be self-sufficient. We are a nation of sheep, led by wolves.

Let the flames begin. While I wait with my asbestos suit on, I’ll leave you with this:
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.


1 comment :

  1. Other than Mr. Cavell (I'll take John Lynch) I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with your Christmas list. Only adding that those who are not Christian still celebrate winter holidays and are not all bad people.

    ReplyDelete

Follow this blog
if(typeof(networkedblogs)=="undefined"){networkedblogs={};networkedblogs.blogId=531831;networkedblogs.shortName="musings";}